Filling and easy to make, this chicken casserole recipe will leave your family begging for more. By Ntwenhle Gcabashe Pictures Dylan Swart
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) butter, melted
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Handful fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cups (1ℓ) vegetable stock
- 2 cups chickpeas, washed
- Heat butter in a large saucepan and brown chicken for 8–10 minutes. Remove and place in an oven dish.
SEE ALSO: Spatchcock Beer Chicken
2. Fry onion, garlic and carrots for 4–5 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste. Add to meat in the oven dish.
SEE ALSO: Chicken Chikka Masala
4. Add the rest of the ingredients (reserve some thyme leaves for serving). Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 40–45 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Serve hot with fresh thyme leaves.