Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Serves: 6 – 8
FOR THE FILLING
- 250g smooth cottage cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
FOR THE EGG CUSTARD
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- ¼ cup (60ml) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla essence
FOR THE FRENCH TOAST
- 10 slices ALBANY Superior Brown bread, crusts removed
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) brown sugar
FOR THE STRAWBERRY COMPOTE
- 250g strawberries, halved
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) castor sugar
- few mint leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an 11cm x 21cm loaf tin with baking paper. For the cream cheese filling, mix together all the ingredients until smooth.
- For the egg custard, mix together all the ingredients.
- For the French toast, quickly dip 2 slices of ALBANY Superior Brown bread into the egg custard. Line the base of the loaf tin with the egg dipped slices. Repeat twice more so you have 3 layers of egg dipped bread.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling over the bread. Then top with two more layers of egg-dipped bread. Scatter the butter and sugar over the top. Bake for about 55 minutes until golden and puffed. Rest for 15 minutes in the tin before turning out.
- For the strawberry compote, heat the strawberries, sugar and mint for about 1 minute until the sugar has melted. Serve