No need to leave the house to enjoy a delicious bunny chow with this recipe from Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 3 cups chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Handful curry leaves
- 2 star anise
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 3 large potatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 loaf of bread
- Micro leaves, for serving
- In a bowl, mix chicken, cumin, masala, turmeric, curry powder and coriander. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Fry onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add cinnamon stick, curry leaves, star anise and chicken mixture. Cook for 8–10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh coriander and stock. When the chicken is halfway cooked, add potatoes. Cover with a lid, and cook for 45 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut bread into quarters. Create a hollowed structure by removing most of the centre, and reserve it. Fill the bread with the curry mixture.
- Place reserved bread pieces, and serve with micro leaves.
You might also enjoy this falafel pita