It is no secret that eating helps with energy levels. So, it is important to fuel your body with the right nutrients before a workout to maximise your performance and recovery. Everyone has a preference on whether to eat before or after a workout. You may use food as a boost while others choose to skip it so they don’t feel sluggish. Similarly, you might feel light-headed if you don’t eat while someone feels nauseous because they had a snack beforehand. Whatever your routine, it is important to fuel your body for an intensive workout – even if it’s just a snack or quick protein bar; Herbalife Nutrition weighs in on the best foods to eat before and after your workout.
By eating a nutritious meal, you’ll experience a surge of energy, enabling you to push yourself a little further. On-the-go snacks, such as nutritional shakes, protein bars or nuts, are the perfect combination to fuel and speed up recovery. But for maximum results, a hearty meal is the best option – especially breakfast. Poor eating habits can undermine even your best efforts to stay fit. Protein-filled foods, good fats, fibre and healthy carbs are the best options to give you that boost towards the end.
What to eat before your workout
- Rice cakes with nut butter.
- Oatmeal with peanut butter and fruit.
- Baked salmon, brown rice and roasted veggies.
- High protein shake – you can add fruit, nuts and vegetables.
After your workout
- A veggie omelette with avocado and ½ cup of roasted potatoes.
- Whole-wheat pitta stuffed with grilled veggies and two tablespoons hummus.
- 1 to 2 hard-boiled eggs with a slice of whole-wheat toast.
- High protein recovery shake – you can add fruit, nuts and vegetables.
Optimal training results include exercise as well as fuelling your body with healthy nutrients pre and post workouts. While a quick snack such as nuts, protein bars or a yummy smoothie is perfect to optimise your workout, your routine should always start with healthy and nutritious food. For targeted nutrition, snacks and more, visit us here.