Beef And Guinness Stew With Dumplings
- 15ml flour
- salt and pepper
- 2.5ml paprika
- 750g stewing beef, cubed
- 30ml oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml Guinness (replace with beer or use cola for non-alcoholic version)
- 1 bay leaf
- Knorr Hearty Beef Soup
- CHIVE DUMPLINGS
- 240g self raising flour
- 125g butter 4 chives, finely chopped
- 5ml mustard powder
- salt and black pepper 45ml water
- Season flour with salt, pepper and paprika. Sprinkle this mixture over the beef.
- In a heavy-based pan, preheat the oil, brown the meat and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onions, celery, carrots and fry until soft. Add the tomatoes and return the beef to the pan. Pour the Guinness over and add the bay leaf.
- Season generously, cover with a lid and simmer on the stove top for 1 – 2 hours, during this time add in the already made Knorr soup mixture and stir from time to time.
- To make the dumplings, sift the flour and rub in the butter until you have a coarse breadcrumb mixture.
- Add the chives, mustard powder, seasoning and enough water to bring the dough together.
- Divide the dough into 12 round pieces.
- Twenty minutes before the end of cooking time, place the dumplings on top of the stew, cover tightly with a lid and cook for a further 20 minutes.