This delicious warm apple & clove dumplings recipe by Ntwenhle Gcabashe is perfect for chilly days or whenever you want something hearty and yummy.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 4 Golden Delicious apples, halved
- 1 cup golden syrup
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) margarine, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- Rosemary sprigs, for serving
- Custard, for serving
SEE ALSO: Rich chocolate pudding
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Cook apples, golden syrup, water, cinnamon, lime juice and zest until slightly reduced. Transfer into an oven dish.
- For dumplings, mix ingredients well in a bowl to form soft dough. Spoon over apple mixture, and bake for 30–40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve warm with rosemary and custard.
SEE ALSO: Candy apples