First off, what is a beauty blender? Make-up gurus will tell you that a beauty blender is not just a regular make-up sponge, but essentially it’s an egg-shaped sponge designed for flawless foundation application.
Even though a lot of women buy beauty blenders, many people don’t use them correctly. Here are seven ways you’re using your beauty blender or beauty blending sponge all wrong.
1. You’re using the sponge dry. Beauty blenders are meant to be used wet or damp to give you a streak-free and dewy finish. Many make-up artists keep a cup of water nearby to make sure the sponge stays moist while working.
2. You only clean it once a week. It’s important to clean your sponge after every single use. This not only helps kill any bacteria that might grow on a dirty beauty blender but it also helps your sponge last longer.
SEE ALSO: 6 ways to sweat-proof your make-up
3. You’re scrubbing it too hard. Tearing your beauty blender is easy if you pull the ends too hard when cleaning it or have stiletto nails that get in the way of cleaning it. Instead of being heavy-handed, use a squeezing motion to clean the sponge. When it’s soaking wet, pour your cleanser on to the soiled parts of the sponge and squeeze it to evenly distribute. Rolling the beauty blender between your palms is another way to clean it.
4. You’re not soaking it. Some make-up stains won’t go away very easily so soak your sponge in a solution of cleanser and water overnight. Using baby oil is another way to treat stubborn stains before cleansing your beauty blender.
5. You’ve been using the same one forever. Even though you may clean your sponge every day, a Beautyblender needs to be replaced every three months. The older it gets, the more likely it will rip or tear and it won’t work as well.
SEE ALSO: Know your make-up brushes
6. You store it in a ziplock bag. It’s never a good idea to store your Beautyblender in a dark and enclosed make-up bag. Removing oxygen and light is a surefire way your beauty blender is going to grow mold and bacteria. Yuck! Rather store your sponge in a breathable mesh or organza bag.
7. You use a wiping motion. It’s important to know how to use a Beautyblender properly when applying make-up. Use the pointed end of the sponge to drag product across your skin. Then, use the larger end to bounce away any streaks for a flawless finish.
Here are some Beauty blending sponges to try:
Beautyblender Pure Original –R 399
Morphe Flawless Beauty Sponge – R255
SEE ALSO: 4 make-up removers to try
Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge – R130
The Body Shop Complexion Blender – R60
UBU Blender Baby Foundation Sponge – R135
Cala Beauty Blending Sponge – R74.95