No matter the occasion, hair extensions bring flair to your hair; but undoing them can cause breakage and unusual shedding if done incorrectly.
Business development manager for SoftSheen Carson Professional, Mashudu Netshidzivhani and Mimmi Biggar, who is part of the technical team as well as an advisor for Sofn ’free HairXperts Masters Challenge share tips on how to undo your hair the right way.
Undoing cornrows after having them for over three weeks will tangle your hair. Removing them is not a hard task, but it takes time. Mimmi says you need to keep your cornrows healthy and well moisturised as this will reduce friction, which causes breakage when undoing them.
Steps to follow when undoing cornrows:
- Spray onto your hair to soften it.
- Unravel the cornrows from the end to the beginning using a metal tail comb.
- Repeat this until you have undone all the cornrows.
- Gently brush the hair with a wide tooth brush/comb before washing it.
- Wash the hair and condition it to give it and your scalp a deep treatment.
Steps to follow when undoing braids:
- Shampoo and condition braids a day before undoing them to help loosen the hair and add moisture.
- Use a head wrap to lock the moisture in.
- Spray any hair product of your choice to the root of the hair to loosen the braid from your natural hair.
- Cut the braid just below the end of your hair to shorten the time to undo it.
- Untwist the hair using a rat tail comb to undo the braids.
- Slide the end of the braid off the root of your hair.
- Use a wide tooth comb to comb the hair before washing it
Recover and repair
Your scalp and hair need a breather from time to time, so it’s always advisable to take two weeks off and stay with your natural hair before relaxing or putting on extensions. Mashudu advises that you give your hair a deep conditioning treatment to help replenish and strengthen its strands. He adds that over styling hair extensions causes tension on the roots of your natural hair, which damages it. Hair sheds naturally and being tied up in plaits or extensions may prevent us seeing this. Don’t be alarmed when undoing your hair and seeing it shed.