Cutting down on the kilojoules doesn’t mean skipping meals. Skipping breakfast is a big no-no because this is an important meal that starts your day, hence setting up your energy levels. Research has revealed that people who skip breakfast miss out on important nutrients like calcium and fibre.
Daniela Venier, a dietician at Planet Fitness, shares how a simple bowl of breakfast can save your day.
- Energy level – Breakfast food is packed with healthy carbohydrates and fibre, which provide you with great energy in the morning.
- Prevention of unhealthy cravings – Skipping breakfast makes you turn to nibbling during the day, and this is usually on unhealthy snacks. Waiting long before eating can make you feel peckish, leading to unhealthy food choices.
- Low sugar levels – Your body’s sugar level drops during the night, and skipping breakfast makes it drop even lower. This leaves you sluggish and hungrier.
- Cholesterol level – Without a nutritious breakfast to kick-start the day, your trans fat and cholesterol levels get even lower.
- Prevents kilojoule burning – Spreading your food intake out over the course of the day helps to keep your metabolism working at a healthy pace. Skipping breakfast slows down your metabolism, which slows down the pace your body burns the kilojoules.
- Makes exercise hard – To burn fat and kilojoules, you need to have energy. Missing breakfast makes exercising harder.
- Makes concentration hard – Breakfast helps to replenish your energy Skipping it leaves you incapable of concentrating throughout the day.