There’s growing evidence that food can put the sizzle (back) into your sex life – and that certain vitamins and components of food can enhance sexual function and experience. Dubbed the ‘super sex food list’, foods that are high in B vitamins, zinc and vitamin E work their magic by increasing energy levels, which in turn gets the blood flowing to (and in) all the right places!
Building one or more of these vitamin-rich foods into your diet, is apparently one of the easiest (and tastiest) ways to improve your health for optimal sex. And, if you see no improvement in your sex-drive (because, kids) then you can at least take comfort knowing that these foods are also good for your heart. It’s a win-win.
1. Oysters (and other seafood). Oysters are known as the ultimate aphrodisiac. And it’s not because they resemble female genitalia (I didn’t even realise this, until today). Oysters are loaded with zinc, actually more so than any other food. More zinc = higher testosterone levels = an increase in desire.
2. Avocados. Avocados are rich in unsaturated fats and low in saturated fat. Which means they are good for your heart. Anything that’s good for your heart, is also good for your arteries and in turn good for your libido – as blood is pumped to all the, er, right places.
SEE ALSO: 8 reasons you might not be having sex
3. Chocolate. As if you needed another excuse to indulge in your favourite treat… Chocolate contains a chemical compound that can produce feelings of euphoria and happiness by releasing “dopamine, the neurotransmitter in the brain that surges during orgasms”. In layman’s terms: Chocolate makes you happy. And happy people want to have sex.
4. Strawberries. Generally, men find a woman in red irresistible. So, it makes sense that this fruit can help ignite the fire. Scientifically, strawberries contain a good source of folic acid – which not only helps prevent birth defects in women, but may be ‘tied to a higher sperm count in men’.
5. Figs. This fruit has soluble and insoluble fibre to thank for it’s sexiness! Not only are figs good for your health, but they are also good for your fertility. So, if you’re looking to increase your (or his!) sex-drive to make a baby, stock up on these sweet snacks!
6. Bananas. Many athletes are advised to refuel with bananas during exercise, so it makes sense that the potassium-rich fruit is on the ‘super sex food’ list. Bananas are required for optimal muscle health – and nutrition experts say that ‘strong muscles are important for more intense contractions during orgasms’.
While garlic can have a negative effect on your breath (not so sexy!), it has the absolute opposite effect on your libido. Garlic is known to improve the blood flow to organs: “Extra blood flow means more sensitivity – a win-win for health and sexual benefits.”
The post Eat for better sex! Rev up your sex life by eating these 7 foods appeared first on All4Women.