Spring is nature’s way of saying ‘Let’s party!’ But, who wants to party with dry, wrinkly, lack-lustre looking skin? Before you blow your budget on fance cleansers, exfoliators, creams and serums for a quick beauty fix, make sure your diet is up to scratch!
While, there is a place for good skincare products on your dressing table, you can achieve a fresh, glowing complexion by eating a healthy diet full of the good stuff – and by good stuff we mean; amino acids, vitamin C, antioxidants and fats.
We’ve rounded up six superfoods that will help your skin glow from within. From avos to lemon and dark choccie – these foods are packed with nutrients that directly benefit your skin.
1. Avos. We all know that eating avocado is good for you. They are rich in nutrients, vitamins and minerals – and a great source of skin-friendly fats.
Great for your hair and nails, avos also:
- Keep skin looking firm and dewy
- Help regenerate damaged skin cells
- Reduce redness and irritation
Try starting your day with smashed avo on Low GI toast!
SEE ALSO: 6 health benefits of peanut butter
2. Flax seed. Ground flax seed is packed with magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids, B-vitamins and fibre – all of which are beyond good for you.
Omega 3 fatty acids help treat iffy skin conditions like eczema and acne, while anti-inflammatory properties help with cell renewal.
Flax seed is best absorbed in “ground” form, so add them to a smoothie, sprinkle them over your morning bowl of oats or include them in your next batch of homemade cookies…
3. Lemons. Based on its taste, you would assume that lemons are one of the most acidic foods you can put into your body. Wrong! Once metabolised, lemons actually help alkalise our body’s PH levels. When it comes to skin, balanced PH levels are key – as wonky levels lead to dry, super-sensitive skin.
Flavour your glass of water with a slice of lemon – slimming and good for your skin!
4. Dark chocolate. As if we needed an excuse to include chocolate in our diet? Dark (70%+ cacao) “Chocolate (actually raw cacao) contains anti-aging antioxidants called flavonoids” that help prevent the appearance of wrinkles and sneaky, fine lines. Those same antioxidants also help to protect your skin from UV damage! A block or two after dinner will not only satisfy any sweet cravings, but will also work magic on your aging skin.
5. Leafy greens. like spinach! Spinach packs a powerful punch when it comes to fighting wrinkles. Popeye’s favourite contains antioxidants; vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene, which work together to protect your skin from aging caused by UV rays.
If eating it plain is a no-no, then disguising it in a smoothie with other yummy ingredients should do the trick.
SEE ALSO: How to eat healthily on a budget
6. Orange veggies like sweet potatoes. Ditch the self tanner and reach for red and orange veggies, like sweet potatoes, instead. According to a study in the Journal Evolution and Human Behaviour – including portions of red and orange veggies in your daily food intake can help you achieve that radiant, sun-kissed complexion.
Red and orange veggies contain disease-fighting compounds called carotenoids – which give those plants their colours (and you, your healthy glow!).
Swap your regular mashed potatoes for a baked sweet potato – healthier and your complexion will thank you!