Every season comes along with its fair share of skin problems to worry about. Everyone experiences dry dehydrated skin in winter, even those with oily skin. Thembelihle Lephoko, Brand manager at Clere Radiance, advises that it’s critical to increase the use of moisturiser to keep chapped cheeks and dry skin at bay.
There definitely are some adjustments that need to be made in the colder months, but there are also many myths about winter skincare – some of which can be harmful to your skin. By Grace Mantjiu
1. Sunscreen is for summer. The sun’s rays don’t change in winter – UVA and UVB rays still penetrate the skin and cause damage and marks. Using a stand-alone SPF product or an integrated product like the Clere Radiance BB cream that includes an SPF 30 will help keep your skin protected all year round.
SEE ALSO: 5 ways to care for your lips this Winter
2. There’s no need for toner. Some people worry that a toner will further dry out their skin in winter. A toner helps to keep your skin in good shape by shrinking the pores. It’s an important part of the cleansing routine and something that should not be abandoned due to the weather.
3. You don’t need as much water. Hydrating your body, and importantly, your skin is an all-year-round job. Not only do all the cells in your body rely on water to function, but your skin remains supple and glowing with a healthy supply of water daily.
4. Colds and flu don’t affect my skin. If you’ve ever had a cold, you know that within a couple hours you resemble Rudolph with a bright shiny red nose. Colds and flu make the skin sallow, but the constant use of tissues to keep a runny nose at bay can leave skin dry, chapped and red. When you feel your nose starting to drip – use a petroleum jelly to keep your nose coated with a film of moisture. Your skin will thank you!
5. It’s too cold to cleanse twice a day! We see you. Yes, you! Avoiding your cleansing routine at night and rather hopping into a warm bed with a cup of hot chocolate before drifting off, is not a good idea. Don’t do it! Continuing your regular cleansing routine is as important in winter as in summer. Removing grease and grime from your skin helps reduce premature ageing.