If you are one of those people that still have not watched memorable and timeless movies that everyone keeps talking about, now is the time to finally catch up. Our features writer Fundiswa Nkwanyana compiled a list of classic 90s movies to watch during this lockdown.
1. Poetic Justice. Released in 1993, this movie stars singer Janet Jackson alongside the late rapper Tupac Shakur. The pair initially don’t get along but after a dramatic road trip with friends they end up falling in love. The fashion, music and poetry in this movie is iconic and this is where the popularity of thick long braids began.
2. Boyz n the Hood. Released in 1991, this star-studded movie has Ice Cube, Morris Chestnut, Laurence Fishburne, Nia Long, Regina King, and Angela Bassett. It’s about a group of childhood friends who are growing up in a rough neighbourhood and the challenges they face. When you watch this movie, you will see what some of today’s legendary actors and actress looked like when they were younger.
3. The Bodyguard. Released in 1992, the late singer Whitney Houston plays the character of a famous musician who falls in love with her bodyguard. There are amazing live performances featuring some of our favourite Whitney songs.
4. Love Jones. Released in 1997, the movie stars Larenz Tate and Nia Long and tells a love story through music, photography and poetry. It’s a modern-day love story that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy because it’s heart-warming.
5. Set It Off. Released in 1996, this all-black female-led movie stars Jada Pinkett Smith, Queen Latifah, Vivica A. Fox, and Kimberly Elise. It’s a crime action movie about four friends who find themselves on the wrong side of the law by robbing banks. It’s a witty film about friendship and love.