No woman likes retouching her make-up throughout the day. So, to make your foundation last longer while looking impeccable, prepping your skin is crucial. Follow these easy tips to ensure your make-up lasts up to 24 hours.
4 Steps to choosing the right foundation for your skin
1. Start with a primer
Primers are the secret to creating a smooth flawless base. This pre-foundation product helps minimise pores, soften your skin and make your foundation last longer.
2. Conceal it
This make-up staple can be used to hide anything, from dark circles to blemishes. When choosing a concealer, go for one shade lighter than your foundation. Also, not all concealers are skin-coloured; other colours can be used to cover up, too. These are some of the colours and what they do:
- Orange and yellow hide dark circles and spots.
- Green neutralises redness and covers blemishes.
- Purple hides hyperpigmentation.
- Pink brightens the eye area.
3. Choose the right tool
Brush or sponge? If you want an airbrushed finish with light to medium coverage, then a long bristle brush is what you need. Pick a brush with a flat top to get full coverage and a nicely blended base. Make-up sponges are great for natural looking coverage; they help blend out the foundation in one step.
4. The perfect canvas
Choosing the right foundation can be tricky, especially if you’re not sure what to look out for. You need to select a foundation that’s right for your skin. If you have oily skin, then go for matte or oil-free; for dry skin, you must choose hydrating formulas. Here are a few foundations and the type of coverage they offer:
- Liquid foundations go from medium to full coverage, depending on how much you apply. They are suitable for most skin types.
- Cream foundations provide full coverage and are best suited for dry skin.
- Mousse tends to be lightweight, making it suitable for all skin types.
- Stick foundations cater for normal to oily skin type; the coverage can be heavy, making it easier to cover blemishes or dark circles.
- Face powder works well on oily skin. It comes in a compact form making it easy to apply and build up coverage.
Read more make-up