Whether you’re new to the natural hair game, or a seasoned veteran, you need to make sure you have all the items on this list to achieve all your natural hair goals.
From combs to conditioner, we’ve got you covered with all the essential items every natural hair girl should own.
1. A wide-tooth comb. A wide-tooth comb is a natural hair girl’s best friend. Apart from using your fingers to detangle, using a wide tooth comb is the second best thing to use. The wide teeth allow your curls and kinks to easily glide through without creating tangles. Make sure to use a plastic wide tooth comb, and not a metal one for less friction.
2. Shampoo. Of course, shampoo is on this list, but did you know as a natural hair girl, you need two types of shampoo? The first shampoo should clarify your hair and scalp – this means it gives a deeper clean than a normal shampoo. The second shampoo should be moisturising. Clarifying shampoos often leave your hair dry and brittle, so you need the second shampoo to put the moisture back in while cleansing.
3. Deep conditioner. Deep conditioning your hair after a good cleansing is essential or your hair will be dry and brittle. Deep conditioners work to penetrate the hair shaft to restore and retain moisture while repairing damaged hair. Prevent any breakage with a good deep conditioning treatment.
4. Satin or silk scarf. A silk or satin scarf is essential for a natural hair girl to keep her curls intact. You need to protect your hair from friction while you sleep or you’ll wake up with frizzy and dry hair, or worse, your hair can break. If you’re not feeling the head scarf, invest in a silk or satin pillowcase.
5. Essential oils. Essential oils are well… essential to help to seal in the moisture added to your hair from the other products. Oils also soften your hair and prevent hair from looking dull. Oils like Jamaican black castor oil and coconut oil are the foundation for any oil mixtures. You can add any other oils you like such olive, lavender, tea tree, almond or avocado oil.
6. An old toothbrush. If you don’t want to buy an edge tamer, which is just a small narrow brush for your edges, you can always use an old toothbrush. It’s a tried and tested tool to get your baby hairs slayed and laid.
7. Leave-in conditioner. Leave-in conditioner is every natural haired girl’s best friend. This product helps to not only lock in moisture but detangles your curls too. A good leave-in conditioner will leave your hair softer and more manageable.
8. Spray bottle. Water is no longer an enemy when you’re a natural hair girl. You need to make sure your hair is moisturised and there’s nothing better than water to do just that. A spray bottle is an absolute must. Give your hair a refreshing and hydrating spritz with a water and leave-in conditioner mixture to make your hair easier to style.
9. Edge control or gel. Every girl wants their edges laid and slayed. The best way to make sure the hair on your hairline or your ‘edges’ stays down is with a good edge control or gel product. Using this product is great when you’re doing ponytails or high puffs. Edge control or gel is also a must when you have braids or cornrows to keep your baby hairs in check.
10. Perm or flexi rods. Avoiding heat is the best thing you can do for your natural hair. You can achieve beautiful curls without a curling iron by using perm rods or flexi rods. These rods are available in a wide range of sizes to get any curl pattern you want.