¾ cup (175ml) sugar
2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
½ cup (125ml) water
½ teaspoon (2,5ml) vanilla essence
1 cup (250ml) GOLDEN CLOUD Cake Wheat Flour
1½ teaspoon (7,5ml) baking powder
Pinch of salt
½ cup (125ml) sugar (divided in half)
1 tablespoon (15ml) gelatine
¼ cup (60ml) water
1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
2 tablespoons (30ml) lemon juice
1 cup (250ml) creamed cottage cheese (250g tub)
½ cup (125ml) NESTLÉ Cream
Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line two swiss-roll tins or a rectangular baking tray (± 22 x 32 cm) with baking paper; let the paper go over the sides. Grease the paper with softened margarine or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Line a rectangular plastic container of almost the same size (30 x 20 x 6 cm) with baking paper; let the paper hang over the longer edge of the container.
- Beat the eggs and sugar very well with an electric hand beater or in an electric mixer for at least 5 – 6 minutes or until thick and pale yellow. Mix the oil, water and flavouring and pour in slowly while mixing. Sift the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and mix lightly until evenly blended.
- Divide the batter between the baking trays and smooth the top, making sure to have enough batter in the corners. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until pale golden and firm if tested with the fingertips, but not at all dry. Lift the paper with the cake layer out of the baking tray and allow to cool.
- Turn over one sponge layer into the prepared dish and carefully remove the baking paper.
- To make the filling: separate the eggs and place the yolks and half ofthe sugar in a microwave-safe jug. Beat very well and microwave on MEDIUM for 1 minute. Beat again and microwave 30 seconds more. Beat and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with a hand beater or in an electric mixer until firm. Gradually beat in the remaining half of the sugar to make a stiff meringue and set aside.
- Place the gelatine in a jug or bowl, cover with water and melt in the microwave on MEDIUM for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until syrupy. Add the gelatine, vanilla essence and lemon juice to the egg yolk mixture and stir to combine. Add the cottage cheese and NESTLÉ Cream and beat until smooth. Add the egg white to the mixture and mix gently until blended.
- Immediately pour the filling over the prepared sponge cake layer – before it starts to set too firmly. Smooth the top and turn over the second sponge layer onto the filling.
- Press down lightly and remove the paper carefully.
- Cover and refrigerate until completely set. Turn out the cake on a board and cut into slices. Dust the top with icing sugar.