Women with natural hair know that we usually battle with dryness – the hair feels and looks very dry and it’s difficult to keep it moisturised. One of the best ways to keep your hair moisturised and have it looking shiny is by doing an overnight hot oil treatment.
Here’s the recipe for one that you can do at home. It’s really easy and extremely effective. Enjoy!
* If you don’t have any of these oils, then you can substitute them with the oils you do have – except for coconut oil. That one is the most important ingredient.
What you need:
- 2 large heaped spoons of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of almond oil
- 1 teaspoon of castor oil
- 2 large spoons of argan oil
- plastic cap
- Melt your coconut oil and pour into a bowl.
- Mix all the other oils into the bowl.
- Divide your hair into 4 sections.
- Spritz your hair with water to dampen it (it doesn’t have to be dripping wet, just damp).
- Now apply a large amount of the oils from roots to tips – section by section.
- Tie each section into a bantu knot, twist or plait.
- Put on a plastic cap to trap the heat while you sleep.
- The put on your doek on top of the plastic cap and make sure that you tie it firmly around the edges so the oils don’t’s seep out while you sleep.
- The next morning, wash your hair. Rinse the oils out and then cleanse your hair like normal.
- You will see that you hair will be extra soft, moisturised and shiny.
- Do this at least once a month for the best results.