By: Dorah Sitole
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup SPAR Super Maize Meal
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 cups (500ml) SPAR Milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons SPAR Butter
- ½ cup SPAR Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 250g SPAR Garlic Polony, cut into small blocks
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- SPAR Sunflower Oil, for deep-frying
- In a pot, add water, milk, salt, and boil. Slowly whisk in the super maize meal. Turn heat to low, and continue whisking for 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Add butter, cheese, parsley and pepper.
- Transfer into a bowl to cool down.
- Flatten a handful on your hand. Place block of garlic polony in the middle to form a ball.
- Dip into eggs and then breadcrumbs. Deep-fry in oil for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a rich tomato onion gravy, SPAR Sweet Chilli Sauce or SPAR Chakalaka.
TIPS TO STRETCH YOUR MEALS
- Pulses are perfect for bulking up your meals. Add them – lentils, barley or canned beans – to your meat or chicken stew.
- Minced meat can also stretch your family meals. Combine it with cooked rice, samp or pasta.
Choose your favourite product from the five SPAR brand products and stand a chance to win a R1 000 SPAR shopping voucher. Enter here »