The self-proclaimed Prince of Theatre chats to us about landing a lead role in the new hit movie, Love by Chance.
1. My name is Atandwa Kani, and I love calling myself the bae of the arts and the flame of films. My love for the arts and storytelling led me to the magical world of theatre and acting. I love being on stage and on set because it makes me feel alive. I enjoy researching my characters, learning the lines and acting out the character.
2. I grew up in the theatre. As a child, the Market Theatre was my playground
– I spent most days playing in the corridors after school. I also have fond childhood memories of helping my father, Dr John Kani, learn his lines, and watching plays with him.
3. As an ambitious actor, I have always been interested in exploring the international acting scene. I’m grateful that the South African entertainment industry has embraced me. Over the years, I have grown as an actor, but I’m still hungry for more. I took some time off to plan my next move and to challenge myself.
4. I decided to buy a plane ticket to New York to expand my horizons.
I knew that I had to be there in order to access opportunities. Once there, I contacted directors and producers that I had previously worked with, telling them that I’m interested in doing some work. After a couple of calls, I was offered a lead role in the movie Love by Chance. I was excited that something fruitful had come out of my trip.
5. I love that this movie shows the American experience through the eyes of South Africans. When telling our stories, Americans often misinterpret our culture. I love that this movie has a diverse South African cast, and tells the story of two aspiring actors who dream of making it in Hollywood. It is a funny, must-see movie!
Here’s a trailer of the exciting new film which is currently in SA theatres. Will you be watching?